Now accepting Telehealth appointments. Schedule a virtual visit.




When to see a fertility specialist

Patients who have tried conceiving for over a year, or who are over the age of 35 and have been trying for at least six months, should consider seeking the advice of a fertility specialist. Other fertility issues, such as irregular periods, damaged fallopian tubes, recurrent pregnancy loss, or abnormal sperm analysis, mean that patients should also see a fertility specialist. To learn more, consult with your gynecologist, or contact us today.

At the Center for Reproductive Health & Gynecology, we help future parents from the Los Angeles area realize their dream of parenthood by offering a range of assisted reproductive technology options and other treatment plans. There are a number of reasons individuals or couples may wish to consult a fertility specialist, but there are some general factors that typically contribute to the need to see a fertility doctor. For more information about when to see a fertility specialist, contact us to get the facts from a board-certified fertility specialist.

When to see a fertility specialist: Women

A woman may want to consult a fertility doctor at the Center for Reproductive Health & Gynecology if she meets the following criteria:

  • If she is age 35 or older
  • If she has a history of pelvic pain or pelvic infection such as pelvic inflammatory disease
  • If she suffers from endometriosis
  • If she has fallopian tube damage
  • If she has irregular menstrual cycles or ovulates irregularly
  • If she has not responded to previous drug treatment for infertility



During your initial consult, patients can expect to spend about an hour getting to know their doctor, Sam Najmabadi, M.D. He will also review your medical history in depth and work closely with you to develop a treatment plan. On your second consult, you will have some medical testing performed to find the best path forward. 

When to see a fertility specialist: Men

If a man meets the following criteria, he may want to consider meeting with a fertility specialist:

  • If he has low semen mobility
  • If he has low semen count
  • If he has poor semen morphology
  • If he has frequent urinary infections
When to see a fertility specialist: Couples

Many couples have trouble getting pregnant, but when is it time to seek professional help? If the following factors apply, a couple may need to meet with a fertility specilaist:

  • If the couple has tried to conceive for more than one year with no success
  • If the woman is older than age 35 and the couple has unsuccessfully tried to conceive for six months
  • If the couple has unexplained infertility (inability to conceive when tests come back normal)
  • If a member of the couple has a known risk factor, such as a history of genital infections
  • If the couple is interested in learning more about assisted reproductive technology (ART) including In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) or other treatments
When to see a fertility specialist: Problems/Cancer

If you are going to undergo treatment i.e: radiation, chemo or surgery that will affect your fertility you may be able to preserve semen, eggs or embryos prior to such treatment. Consult your physician to determine if this is an option for you.

Our Locations

Choose your preferred location

Beverly Hills Hours

Office Hours Monday -Wednesday: 7:30 AM - 3:00 PM

Thursday 7:30 am to noon 

Friday 7:30 AM -3:00 PM

 Saturday: 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Closed Sunday

Sherman Oaks Hours

By Appointment Only